[coreboot] Lenovo X1 carbon 3460 Screen stays black
Jo
2017-08-05 13:40:52 UTC
Hello Guys,

I wanted to get coreboot on my Lenovo X1 Carbon 1gen (3460) ,

so i followed the tutorial, however after flashing it, the screen stayed
black.So i flashed the Vendorbios back and im kinda stuck now, help
would be really appreciated.

This is my*config file* (if you care to have a look)

https://pastebin.com/FYrsmXPb

and the output of *inteltool -m* (spd data)

https://pastebin.com/JZQYb3p3

also the output of *inteltool -g*

https://pastebin.com/wDNRxM4U

_and i*nteltool -G*_

https://pastebin.com/zJV3dE8A

_cheers _
John Lewis
2017-08-05 14:47:28 UTC
Howdy,

In your config file you have:

# CONFIG_VGA_BIOS is not set

in coreboot, which will mean that coreboot doesn't setup the display,
but in your SeaBIOS config you have:

CONFIG_SEABIOS_VGA_COREBOOT=y

which will try to reuse whatever coreboot has setup. So as you might
understand, this causes a bit of a catch 22. :)

Either tell coreboot to run the BIOS *or* set the VGA Hardware Type to
"none" in SeaBIOS.

Other common problems are getting the pci id's for your graphics card
wrong and using the wrong offset for SeaBIOS to find CBFS (so it can
run things like VGA ROM's).

It would be helpful if you had a distro already loaded, as that will
try to initialise the display even if the BIOS hasn't, which can be
handy (so you can get and see cbmem output to figure out what is wrong)

After all that, my first answer may not be the solution and there may
also be something else stopping the system getting as far as running
the VGA BIOS.

Hope this helps,

John.
cheers
Nico Huber
2017-08-06 10:28:06 UTC
Post by John Lewis
Howdy,
# CONFIG_VGA_BIOS is not set
in coreboot, which will mean that coreboot doesn't setup the display,
CONFIG_SEABIOS_VGA_COREBOOT=y
which will try to reuse whatever coreboot has setup. So as you might
understand, this causes a bit of a catch 22. :)
No, that's alright because coreboot has other means to set up gfx. In
this case CONFIG_MAINBOARD_USE_LIBGFXINIT=y.

Nico
Nico Huber
2017-08-05 21:26:16 UTC
Post by Jo
Hello Guys,
I wanted to get coreboot on my Lenovo X1 Carbon 1gen (3460) ,
so i followed the tutorial, however after flashing it, the screen stayed
black.So i flashed the Vendorbios back and im kinda stuck now, help
would be really appreciated.
This is my*config file* (if you care to have a look)
https://pastebin.com/FYrsmXPb
and the output of *inteltool -m* (spd data)
https://pastebin.com/JZQYb3p3
also the output of *inteltool -g*
https://pastebin.com/wDNRxM4U
_and i*nteltool -G*_
https://pastebin.com/zJV3dE8A
As expected, you have a unsupport memory configuration. Here is a
patch that adds your dumped data:

https://review.coreboot.org/#/c/20887/

You can check it out with

git fetch https://review.coreboot.org/coreboot
refs/changes/87/20887/1 && git checkout FETCH_HEAD

I hope it works, I didn't look very deep into it.

Nico
Alexander Couzens
2017-08-09 02:18:23 UTC
Hi Nico,

here is a follow. I somehow missed that when reviewing your commit...
https://review.coreboot.org/#/c/20918/

@Jo here is my image. I've enabled usb debug for output, which consumes
a lot boot time. So better compile coreboot another time on your own.

https://own.fe80.eu/s/OzAMekv0TpRGsFj

Best,
lynxis
--
Alexander Couzens

mail: ***@fe80.eu
jabber: ***@fe80.eu
mobile: +4915123277221
gpg: 390D CF78 8BF9 AA50 4F8F F1E2 C29E 9DA6 A0DF 8604