[coreboot] FSP 1.0 Sandy-/Ivybridge removal
Zaolin
2018-11-12 15:24:32 UTC
Hey coreboot folks,

I want to remove the old Sandy-/Ivybridge FSP 1.0 implementation from
the tree:

https://review.coreboot.org/#/c/coreboot/+/29402/

We already have an Open Source replacement for it ( under src/{nb,sb} )
which can replace the legacy FSP integration.

Does anyone use the FSP stuff or has complains about the current plan?

BR, Zaolin
Arthur Heymans
2018-11-12 15:38:14 UTC
Post by Zaolin
Hey coreboot folks,
I want to remove the old Sandy-/Ivybridge FSP 1.0 implementation from
https://review.coreboot.org/#/c/coreboot/+/29402/
We already have an Open Source replacement for it ( under src/{nb,sb} )
which can replace the legacy FSP integration.
To make this statement more accurate. There are 3 bootpaths for sandy-/ivybridge.

1. Fully open source (including raminit)
2. raminit done by mrc.bin developed by google engineers, with the
mrc.bin in the blob repo, which is for the most part interchangeable
with the fully open source raminit
3. FSP 1.0 bootpath

bootpaths 1 and 2 have 43 boards in the coreboot tree. (based on 'chip
northbridge/intel/sandybridge in devicetree.cb)
The FSP bootpath has 2 boards that are likely not obtainable.
Post by Zaolin
Does anyone use the FSP stuff or has complains about the current plan?
BR, Zaolin
Given the unpopularity, lack of maintenance, the availability of a much
more popular bootpath and actual hindrance in moving the common codebase
forward (for instance when implementing parallel mp init for i945 till
sandybridge, some code still has to be left in place to keep that fsp
bootpath happy) I fully endorse the removal of this code.
ron minnich
2018-11-12 15:40:22 UTC
I agree, we should always bias to open source, and if there are
issues, we fix 'em.

Thanks to the people who did the hard work on the sandy and ivy code :-)

ron